Monday, August 24, 2009

Power Bars!

Ephesians 6:12-14
12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,



Recently I got an idea from a friend's blog. She wrote about something she was doing with her boys this school year. She called it Meet me in the Hall! They planned to meet each morning and pray before school. To help it along they made prayer lists for each day of the week so that when they got together they were ready to pray. I really thought that was a neat idea. My attempts to have a consistent prayer time with the girls before school always seemed rushed and we usually prayed to "have a good day, etc."

I tried to think of where we could meet and the bar in the kitchen seemed best. But I didn't think it sounded too good to call it "Meet me at the bar!" so I am calling it Power Bar! We are planning to meet each morning to pray for specific things on our lists. Today worked well and I pray we will continue to do it each morning.

It was precious to sit down with them and decide what we wanted to pray for each morning. It opened the window to their hearts and allowed me to see concerns, burdens etc. It especially touched me that they wanted to pray for people who don't know the Lord! This morning when we were dropping Kathryn off (Yeah....we missed the bus on the first day)I saw two former students of mine walking into the building. I waved to them, and when the girls asked me who they were I told them and started to explain that it was very sad becuase their Mom has terminal cancer. Before I could say anything else.... Ellie piped up...."I am adding them to my power bar card!" So sweet! She may be my biggest challenge, but she has the tenderest of hearts! On one of her days she actually asked to write down that she would "have Jesus in my heart" I asked her what she meant and she told me she knows she needs Jesus in her heart to go to heaven but in our conversation she (in her own way) said she doesn't "get it" all quite yet. I told her I would add it to my card!

So thanks Amy for the idea. I pray that we will begin something that will have lasting effects!



My three favorite school girls....Kathryn --7th grade, Julia -- 5th grade, Ellie-- Kindergarten!

3 comments:

  1. Kristi..... I know sometimes you leave a comment on here....just wanted to let you know Ellie has "the Woodards" for her Wednesday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!!! I love that Ellie. What a great idea, Sonja. We try to pray together in the morning too but having a sweet theme like Power Bar makes me think we actually be more consistent and excited about it. I'm going to have to give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your blog Sonja, I'm just getting around to it :) you asked about the kids' school on mine... we live outside of Charlotte NC and they are attending a great little public school here in our neighborhood. First year, start of a new path, and I'm excited to see us all stretch together :)

    ReplyDelete