Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Things I Know Since I've Been To MO!

Lots of reflection and learning is going on at East State Route 2, Harrisonville, Missouri! It is a paradox of sorts. I feel like we just got here, yet our move seems like ages ago. I feel like sometimes this is a very familiar place, yet I still have cause to get out my GPS when I have no idea where the blazes I am. Overall, I can't get over what I have learned and continue to learn. Some things....very mundane bordering on humorous, while others causing paradigm shifts in my life.

First change is never easy. I have prided myself on taking change with stride.I have had CONSTANT CHANGE in my life and I have always embraced it as I know it brings self reflection and growth. This change has certainly brought that by the droves. I seem to have been knocked down a few pegs and realize I am not the SUPER WOMAN I once self proclaimed to be! There has been a lot of QUIET moments over the past six weeks which have caused me to ponder, think, reflect and any other verb that you can conjure up that means THINKING! I have had moments that range from aha moments to powerful epiphanies that have encouraged me, challenged me, and even moved me to tears. I have had times of stillness that I have not had in.... actually I don't know how long it has been. While some days I have felt that I have been wrapped up in nothingness (thanks KD for that phrase) I really can say that the time of just being alone and by myself (while not always enjoyable) has yielded a new list of goals, prayers of forgiveness, a view of myself that is less than desirable. Some days these alone times were arduous and painful, other days invigorating. I still think change is not easy. But I will say the benefits have been more along the lines of what change is supposed to be.....something that takes us out of our comfort zone and causes us to think, ponder, review and hopefully RENEW.

Another lesson I have learned is that it has been a long time since I have been in a place where I don't "know" people. The last time that happened (I think) was my Freshman year in college. I don't need to remind you that that was some time ago! I really thought that making friends would be easy and that I would attack it with great ease. After all, I am a great person to hang out with...at least my friends tell me that I am. Seriously, I was kind of excited about that aspect of our move but then quickly realized that it is not all that easy for me to just do that. I didn't realize how comfortable I was with the friends I had and have missed those friendships immensely. Now before my East coast friends read this and feel sorry for me and my new Mid western friends read this and say...."Now wait a minute...." I include this because I have learned from my experience of "not knowing" anyone how very important it is to always be in a state of reaching out....ALWAYS!! I have been blessed with getting to know some wonderful ladies and look forward to building more friendships as time continues. I have enjoyed my Tuesday morning coffee time as well as starting a new small group with our church. God has been faithful and has used several people to make me feel comfortable and at home in a new place.

Interestingly, I have learned that while I knew I had "family" who lived here I have enjoyed learning how it all fits together. We really never spent much time with Eric's family.So, it has been fun to hear about who is related to whom. Some ladies from the church got together for lunch one afternoon and invited me. Before it was over I found out that two of the ladies were actually second cousins of Eric's.It is in deed a smaller world when you live close to family. His uncle gave us some genealogy books too that have been fun to look through. It may mean we have to go to the local "matchmaker" before the girls start courting anyone to make sure that we aren't related! **laughs** I do have one friend who keeps me straight on who is who and gives me a heads up as to who I am related to!

Also, living in the 'country' takes getting used to. It has been an adjustment for me to get used to living "out" and away from everyone. The girls abhor when we use the phrase "going into town" They feel like we are going to hitch up the horses or something. (We have fun with that.) But in all seriousness we have learned the importance of getting an accurate store list and that sometimes you just do without and get creative.

While we have not experienced quite the winter that our East Coast friends have had, one thing that I have learned (that my Mother has been trying to tell me for at least 40 years) is "I NEED A COAT AND A PAIR OF BOOTS!" I have finally succumb to that and purchased a pair of boots and a warm winter coat. I know my Mom is relieved. When it is cold here....it is a cold like I have never felt before. And the rural roads require boots...It is just how they roll!

Finally, when we first decided to move here I really thought that the move was going to be all about a change for Eric. He finally would get to do something that he would enjoy, etc. And as for me, well, I would continue to do what I always did! That was my biggest aha moment....actually I think I labeled that as an epiphany! I was making my bed one day and it hit me. This move was not just for Eric. It was just as much for me. The Holy Spirit confirmed to me that I am to use this time to grow, stretch, and learn. Some of the lessons (like I said)have been painful while others have been an encouragment. But none the less.... I am learning. I am reading a book called the Ragamuffin Gospel by B. Manning. He uses the analogy of pouring water into a basin. When you first pour the water in the basin it splashes on the bottom and against the side. To be able to see your clear reflection of who you really are is not possible because of the swirling water and the disturbance.As it gradually begins to settle, it is then that we can see our true relfection. He goes on to say that it takes time to settle. He says, "Coming to interior stillness requires waiting. Any attempt to hasten the process only stirs up the water anew" So I am waiting. I am listening. I am learning. And I know it will all be for my good and His glory!

2 comments:

  1. Missed you at said coffee morning. This book sounds interesting. I have a HUGE stack waiting for me but I'll have to put this on the check it out list.
    "Any attempt to hasten the process only stirs up the water anew"....hmmm.
    By the way...your girls are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great lessons. I rememebr doing recess duty when I taught in Kansas City. Iwould be miserable on those cold windy days!! That was the first time I owned a long wool coat!
    I LOVE that illustration of the basin. Oh that we could learn to be still and wait in Him. It is so contrarty to our culture and our nature. I certainly have to much to learn there.
    Day after day I've been meaning to write you to tell you I am praying for you and to inquire as to how things are going. Glad I got this little peek today.
    Love to you, my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete